The screening of plant extracts is a complex, multilevel process. Analyses are alternately carried out through cell biology and analytical chemistry. The evaluation of the huge amount of the resulting data requires advanced bioinformatics. Shuttling test samples back and forth between different institutions is costly and time consuming. Furthermore, it increases error rates due to the unstable nature of plant extracts.
ADSI laboratories provide the entire service package for plant screening under one roof. Using our services saves time and money and ensures a higher reliability of test results.
INPUT - ANALYTICAL DEPARTMENT
The first step is an untargeted approach. In a multi-level process a rough characterization of all compounds is carried out.
- By means of different processes and extraction agents, various extracts are produced from the candidate plants. Their composition differs substantially, and they are enrolled to further investigations on an individual basis.
- Then Ultra-High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (uHPLC-hr-qTOF-MS) is applied to separate the single extract samples into their individual components.
- Through mass spectrometric analysis the individual components of each single extract samples are thoroughly investigated, with respect to their structure and amount.
- Based on this information the extraction method, which qualifies best for extraction of the bioactive compounds, can be identified.
- ASE (accelerated Solvent Extraction)
- Soxhlet extraction
- USAE (Ultrasound extraction)
- MWAE (Mikrowave extraction)
- LLE (liquid-liquid extraction)
Dry extracts, in amounts ranging from a few milligrams to several grams, can be procured in a reproducible manner.
INPUT - CELL BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Through a targeted approach the individual extracts are screened for very promising candidates in cell culture assays. An automated system for carrying out cell-based assays (ASAP, Automated Screening Assay Platform), developed by ADSI, to facilitate the required speed and output for High Content Screening, is applied. The aim is to obtain as much information as possible about the effects of the tested substances, and to analyze their individual compounds in a qualitative and quantitative manner. The amount of data generated by High Content Screening is huge. For their analysis we apply highly advanced bioinformatics and biostatistics.
Following those analysis, the extraction of bioactive compounds is optimized with respect to yield.
TALK TO OUR EXPERTS
Are you looking for a strong partner in research and development? Do you have promising candidate plants for product development and need scientific input regarding extraction and analysis? Or do you need support in process optimization, quality assurance or assessment of quality claims?
We are happy to work with you and provide the customized R&D solutions you need!