2D AND 3D CELL CULTURE MODELS
Plant screening is essential for the safety of plant derived cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. Profound characterization of their composition and proof of reproducibility of the specified formulation is a precondition for admission of plant-based pharmaceuticals for investigational application in clinical trials. The so-called lead substances, in particular, must be well characterized in order to assure consistent quality of medicinal products. For the certification of plant cosmetics, it is mandatory to prove that the final products are free of contaminants and don’t cause any damage or irritation. The extent of the requirements, though, varies between different quality labels.
2D and 3D CELL CULTURES IN PHYTOCOSMETICS
In our labs we have established test systems based on 2- and 3-dimensional cell cultures. They reflect the features of tissues and organs (e.g. skin, lungs, intestines, liver, tumor tissue) in the context of the human body, with 3d cell cultures resembling natural conditions most closely. Analysis and interpretation of results are carried out in fully automated cell culture systems. This helps saving time and money when assessing an enormous amount of samples.
Our test systems for the exclusion of harmful effects:
- Skin corrosion and irritation OECD TG 439 and OECD TG 431
- Proof of skin sensitizers (IL-18 release)
- Integrity of the epidermal barrier function
Those analysis can be performed on the final product, namely the final formulation. They are a highly valuable substitute for testing on animals or humans.
- Presumably 3% of all flowering plant species worldwide contain toxic PAs.
- More than 660 PAs und PA nitrous oxides (PANO) have been found in 6.000 plant species, so far. Roughly 50% of them are toxic to the liver.
- PAs can trigger coronary heart disease and induce mutations which may cause cancer.
We possess the skills and the machinery to provide state-of-the-art support for the development and production of safe products of consistent high quality.